11 Days of Global Unity September 11-21, 2016 - Moving From Vision To Action To Transform Your World
By Rick Ulfik
At a time when record numbers of refugees are fleeing from over 60 military conflicts around the world, and statements that many feel reflect bigotry and intolerance are expressed openly in political campaigns in the US and Europe, I feel it is crucial for people to know about and be able to connect with what is working in the world.
11 Days of Global Unity is a worldwide platform where people and organizations can be part of an inspiring international movement linking local awareness and action activities for peace, justice, sustainability and transformation. Many of these programs can be found at GlobalUnityCalendar.org
11 Days supports and is a part of the International Day of Peace September 21st which is celebrated annually by over 3500 organizations in almost every country on Earth!
With compelling and informative programs and events, like the ones highlighted below, 11 Days partners and allies are creating a new culture – a culture that recognizes that the health and well-being of all depends on the health and well-being of each person and each form of life. We want to spark a cultural shift from "I" to "WE" so that from individual attitudes to government policies, people's circles of empathy and caring include all members of society - and even go beyond people to include animals and the entire web of life!
Local Changemakers Making a Difference for 11 Days of Global Unity
- In Botswana Angelina Gabaitse created a Book of Interdependence (based on We, The World’s Declaration of Interdependence) which is being signed by local leaders who are empowering Women and Girls and protecting the environment with renewable energy systems.
- In Uganda Justus Akampurira is doing a march for Global Unity with Students For Global Democracy.
- In Kentucky (USA) Angel Fullerton is organizing a Walk for Unity where there have recently been community tensions regarding flying the Confederate Flag.
- In Vermont Susan Jameson will have an Interfaith Gathering for dialogue and understanding.
- In New York Susana Bastarrica’s annual Vigil for Peace and Ecology is in Central Park, and Paul Sladkus/Good News Planet will have a giant Human Peace Sign in Times Square!
The 3 Most Extraordinary Highlights of 11 Days of Global Unity 2016!
Compassion Games International Presents the Global Unity Games and Tomorrow Together Sept 11-21, 2016, with the largest USA National Day of Service commemorating the 15th Anniversary of the tragedy of 9/11. The Global Unity Games: Tomorrow Together are an 11 day challenge to bring about unprecedented unity in communities around the world through compassionate action and service.
Sustainable Peace - Sustainable Development Friday, September 16, 2016 featuring the historic gathering at the United Nations in New York City of three inspiring and heroic Nobel Peace Laureate women world leaders: Leymah Gbowee (Liberia), Shirin Ebadi (Iran), and Tawakkol Karman (Yemen) with Moderator Jonathan Granoff President of the Global Security Institute and an Advisory Board Member of We, The World.
The 11 Days of Global Unity Tele-Summit of the Summer of Peace September 11-21, 2016 - Moving From Vision To Action
This “Finale” of the Shift Network’s Summer of Peace is a collaboration of We, The World and the Shift Network to bring together some of the most visionary thinkers and activists of our time in 11 profound and powerful dialogues on each of the 11 Themes For Change. When you Register for Free you will be able to attend all the sessions which include Jane Goodall, Tavis Smiley, Neale Donald Walsch, Ocean Robbins, Earth Guardians, Audri Scott Williams, William Hartung, Monica Willard and many others!
11 Days Summit Sneak Previews:
- September 13 - Environment with Dr. Jane Goodall: Dr. Jane Goodall and Host Rick Ulfik will discuss the many connections between humans, Chimpanzees and other animals including how the idea of "Culture" in non-human animals is becoming accepted by the scientific community. Jane will reveal many aspects of her life including a major life and work transition she made. And we will look into individual and collective solutions to aspects of the current Global Environmental Crisis.
- September 14 – Economic Justice with Tavis Smiley: Broadcaster and Author Tavis Smiley and Host Rick Ulfik will discuss how unprecedented Rising Inequality in the US and around the world is threatening many aspects of our society including our democracy. Tavis will talk about the Legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., why our society allows poverty to continue, and we will examine solutions including the role of movements, the Media, and what each of us can do in our lives.
Taken together these 11 Days Summit dialogues form a blueprint for global transformation!
Thank you for being part of 11 Days of Global Unity and for all you are doing to help create a world that works for all!
Rick Ulfik is the founder and board chair of We, The World, a non-profit organization that develops global networks of collaboration and organizes campaigns to build mass involvement in creating a peaceful, caring, sustainable world. Advisors and supporters include Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Jane Goodall, Deepak Chopra, Daniel Ellsberg, Riane Eisler, Bill McKibben, Robert Thurman, Patch Adams, Hazel Henderson, and about 70 other visionary thought leaders. Rick is founder and a principal Organizer of the WE Campaign at WE.net - a global campaign of We, The World to unite and amplify the efforts of people, organizations and movements working for the common good. Rick is also co-founder and principal organizer of 11 Days of Global Unity Sept. 11-21, an annual promotion of peace, sustainability and transformation that includes as many as 700 associated events in over 60 countries around the world. Rick is Co-Producer of “Visual Voices” TV Series featured on the Dish Network and available in 15 million homes. Rick is also an award-winning composer and musician who has written, produced and performed music for ABC, NBC, CBS, the Olympics, feature films, commercials, and major recording artists including Queen Latifah, Phoebe Snow, Carlos Santana, Bernadette Peters and Judy Collins.
Catalyst is produced by The Shift Network to feature inspiring stories and provide information to help shift consciousness and take practical action. To receive Catalyst twice a month, sign up here.
This article appears in: 2016 Catalyst, Issue 16: 11 Days of Global Unity & International Day of Peace